5 Tips for Keeping Your Self-Storage Unit Pest Free
Pests and their damaging effects are an understood risk at almost every storage unit. While rodents, insects and spiders are simple enough to keep out of your home using fumigation and traps, keeping your storage unit pest-free can be trickier. Here are several steps you can take to reduce the likelihood of pests entering your storage unit and damaging your belongings.
- Opt for hard plastic boxes and other tightly sealable containers to protect your belongings. These will not only be great for stacking, but rodents also can’t chew through plastic, unlike cardboard.
- Avoid storing food items at all costs. For most storage centers these are forbidden because of their propensity to attract insects and vermin. Make sure all items that may have held food at one point are washed and sanitized.
- Wrap your upholstered furniture and any soft items that you can’t store in boxes in plastic. This will ensure that if mice or rats hang out on top of your favorite bedspread they won’t damage the fabric with their claws and waste. You’ll also help protect your belongings from moths.
- Give everything you plan on storing a good once-over to make sure there aren’t any critters hiding in your belongings. This is beneficial to your property as well as that of everyone else sharing your storage location.
- Prepare your unit for long-term storage by equipping your unit with rat poison, mouse traps and fly tape to catch any intruders. You can also place cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil in desk drawers, trinks and cabinets to deter pests.
Self Storage Management
Under Executive Self Storage's third-party management, self storage facilities receive consulting services that include operations manuals, facility evaluations, due diligence studies, manager training and store audits. Executive Self Storage's...Learn More
Executive Self Storage has been in the self-storage industry since 1987. We have joined together family trusts, individual investor groups, and builders and individuals investing for the first time with the self-storage property that fits their needs...Learn More
Executive Self Storage real estate management has developed a network of brokers, lenders, private individuals, corporations, clients and other real estate parties that are buying or may be buying self storage facilities. The ESSA real estate management team...Learn More